On Tuesday 14 August, BNP Paribas UK hosted its first ever Spinnathon on behalf of Macmillan Cancer Support – our 2012 UK Charity of the Year. Inspired by the Olympic cycling events and Team GB’s amazing achievements, 76 employees from across the business took part in a 30-minute spin class.
It was a fun and successful fundraising initiative, and thanks to the bank’s Matched Fundraising Programme that supports employees who take part in fundraising events, a total of £1073.10 was raised for Macmillan Cancer Support.
A 30 minute spinning session has helped pay for:
- 11 copies of ‘The cancer guide’ – a Macmillan booklet that helps patients and their families understand more about cancer, treatment, and the support available to them
- 71 copies of ‘Money worries’ – a leaflet with information about how Macmillan can help with financial difficulties
- The translation of 20 pages of a Macmillan information resource into Braille
- 25 copies of ‘Cancer factfile’ CD-Rom – a resource for health professionals that contains over 300 fact sheets covering a wide range of cancer topics
- A face-to-face benefits adviser, helping people affected by cancer claim £70 in benefits
- A Macmillan telephone cancer support specialist, helping people affected by cancer claim £165 in benefits
For every five participants that took part in a 30 minute spinning session has helped pay for:
- A Macmillan nurse for an hour
- Someone to receive information and support through one of the Mobile Macmillan Cancer Information Centres
A big thank you to everyone who took part, including those that made donations in support of their colleagues!
About Macmillan Cancer Support
There are two million people in the UK living with cancer, estimated to increase to four million by 2030. Macmillan aim to provide practical, medical and financial support and push for better cancer care.
So far in the UK, BNP Paribas CIB, Securities Services and Real Estate have raised over £89,000 for our Charity of the Year.